So you have your festive wreath and your tree. What about a festive plant? Well, it has to be the bright red poinsettia and these are the top tips to keep yours looking pristine this December:
- Make sure you buy a healthy plant, the roots of which are not spilling out through the base of the pot. Unwrap it as soon as you get them home.
- Place it in a light spot, but not in direct sunlight. If direct sunlight hits the plant, reposition it. Poinsettias should be kept warm, ideally between 13-22C.
- The most common cause of failure is over-watering. Let the upper half of the compost become dry before watering thoroughly.
- Mist the leaves frequently as poinsettias (Euphorbia pulcherrima), which are native to Mexico and Central America, need moist air.
- If your poinsettia starts to wilt and is as dry as a bone, soak the rootball in warm water, which may revive it.